“Alone, we can do so little; together we can do so much.”
These few words mean so much as we near the end of our Annual Fall Food Drive. Only 2 Drop Days left this week – 2 more days to help make that difference in the lives of so many in our greater community.
If you have not had a chance to visit the drop zone, if you have a few extra cans of food in your cupboard or a few extra dollars in your wallet, please come by on Tuesday or Thursday (10:00 – 12:00) this week and help fill the bins.
Say “hello” to the volunteers who collect your donations and take a peek at the poster – see just what we can do when we come together to make a difference.
Please see below that Bill Webb has made yet another thermometer addition!
The end of our drive culminates with the annual weekend drive done by our Parksville Volunteer Fire Department. For 21 years, their drive finds them going door to door in homes from Bowser to Nanoose to collect food and cash to support The Salvation Army.
This year, because of Covid 19, their plans have changed from a door to door drive to having drop off spots at grocery stores in our area.
One thing that won’t change is their visit to Craig Bay on
Sunday, November 15th at 11:00am.
Did you know? November 15th just happens to be National Philanthropy Day!! How fitting! How fantastic!!
Again, in a “normal” year, we would be gathering at the clubhouse to be a part of the big giveaway – the pounds of groceries on display, the coffee and goodies to share, the hugs from neighbours! Your committee and the firemen would love to see you this year too – but only at a distance!!! While we cannot all gather at the front of the clubhouse – we can cheer from the street! We can make some noise as the fire truck turns onto Langara Drive and makes the turn to the clubhouse.
Remember Dr Bonnie Henry rules:
Be kind – well we have that down in spades!
Be calm – except when you are cheering our first responders – our PVFD!
Be safe – stay apart as we come together!
So, if you wish to come out on Sunday morning, be on Langara Drive before 11:00 am. We will have orange cones in place as a reminder of physical distancing.
Please make note of the following COVID COMPLIANCE for those wishing to cheer/attend The Giveaway:
- Wash your hands
- Wear a mask
- Bring a pot or something to make some noise
- Keep that 2 metre distance from others as you make your way to Langara Drive
- Space yourselves out along the drive – use the spaced cones to guide you
- When you spot the fire engine: WAVE! CLAP! MAKE SOME NOISE! YELL “THANK YOU”!
- If you wish to get closer to the donation giveaway, PLEASE KEEP YOUR DISTANCE! Some of our committee members will be there to make sure we are all following the rules of safety.
NOTE: We have asked the PVFD to bring a VERY LARGE BOOT!
THINGS TO REMEMBER:
- Please make cheques payable to: Mt Arrowsmith Salvation Army
- All donations over $10 will receive a tax receipt
- Drop off Tuesday and Thursday from 10:00 – 12:00
- Location: Clubhouse entrance on Cape Cod Drive
Respectfully submitted, with gratitude,
Penny Rutherford on behalf of the CB Food Drive Committee: Jane Peverett, Sheila Durnin, Maureen Maitland, Darlene Mallen, Mariette Calvert, Joyce Kristianson, Marion Woodward